(detailed information about this entry from Wikipedia)
Date Movie is a 2006 spoof of romantic comedies directed and written by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, two of the writers of the first Scary Movie. It stars Alyson Hannigan, Adam Campbell, Eddie Griffin, Fred Willard and Sophie Monk. It will be released on DVD on May 30.
The story of hopeless romantic Julia Jones, who has finally met the man of her dreams, the very British Grant Funkyerdoder. But before they can have their Big Fat Greek Wedding, they'll have to Meet the Parents, hook-up with The Wedding Planner, and contend with Grant's friend Andy — a spectacularly beautiful woman who wants to put an end to her Best Friend's Wedding.
Other movies spoofed are Bridget Jones' Diary, Kill Bill, Napoleon Dynamite, Hitch, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, King Kong, Along Came Polly, Shallow Hal, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, Legally Blonde, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Jerry Maguire, Notting Hill, Say Anything, Sweet Home Alabama, Monster In Law, Mean Girls, Spiderman, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, What Women Want, White Chicks, The Birdcage, The Notebook, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, and Wedding Crashers. Also parodied are television shows Pimp My Ride and The Bachelorette (Nina Avetisova appears in this particular parody), Paris Hilton's Carl's Jr. / Hardee's advertisement, and Michael Jackson. It will also spoof the TV series Britney and Kevin: Chaotic and Desperate Housewives. There is also a reference to the television advertisements for the Girls Gone Wild videos, and the internet phenomenon Bumfights. And also the song Candy Shop by 50 Cent.
Hannigan as Julia; overweight at the start of the movie.
Audience response has been generally negative; it was voted into the Bottom 100 on the IMDb within days of its release. It has performed moderately well at the box office, but has received nearly unanimously bad reviews, with a 8% "Rotten" rating at Rotten Tomatoes.
In its first week of release, the film grossed a total of 21.8 million dollars at the United States Box office.
As of March 19, 2006, the film grossed a total of 46.5 million dollars in the United States Box Office.
Rated PG-13 for continuous crude and sexual humor, including language.
- The scene where Carmen Electra's character gets her clothes ripped was based on censored (but subsequently reinstated) footage from the original King Kong. Also, Electra gets her clothes ripped in the beginning Scary Movie, in which Friedberg and Seltzer also wrote the beginning.
- Many stores/restaurants are spoofed such as Taco Butt (Taco Bell) and Best Bride (Best Buy). Though Louis Vuitton, Versace and other real clothing brand names appears too.
- Many Napoleon Dynamite fans thought Jon Heder reprised his role but it was played by comedian, Josh Meyers. Also Meyers mocked Owen Wilson in one line which is: "Is it too late to crash the Fockyerdoder Wedding?".
- Chris Harrison plays himself in The Bachelor parody.
- Frank has eight nipples, a reference to a deleted scene from Scary Movie.
- Sophie Monk's Carl's Jr. / Hardee's spoof is shorter than the one shown on advertisements with Paris Hilton.
- The name Fockyerdoder is a joke on the last name Focker from Meet The Parents, though Meet The Parents was also spoofed in several different parts of the movie.
- The old cat woman that lived in the apartment across from Julia is the same actress who played the old lady who was under cover in Not Another Teen Movie.
- "Extreme Bachelor: Desperate Edition" is a combination of the titles of The Bachelor, Extreme Makeover, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and Desperate Housewives.
- The song 'Do You Believe In Magic' is a possible reference to Alyson Hannigan's role in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- The scene involving "Owen Wilson" getting crushed by a cameraman is cut. He only appears in one scene with one line.
- When the RV is driven in, it spoofs Meet the Fockers and Dukes of Hazzard, by changing the horn tune from "Puff, the Magic Dragon" (Meet the Fockers) to the first 13 notes of "Dixie" (Dukes of Hazard)
- The scenes involving Napoleon running away and Owen Wilson getting crushed are cut.
- Lil Jon comes in during dinner to say "What" "Yeah" "Okay" "Get Crunk" which are his common catchphrases in his songs.
Plot at The Movie Spoiler